Sunday, October 24, 2010

First Avocado Fruit in My Garden


Avocado Trees

On the South East side of my house I have these 3 big old trees.One is a 50 year old mango tree and it came with the land. It gives me 200 to 700 sweet juicy fruit every alternate year.
The green canopy
hiding the high rise
 Beside this mango tree I have grown 2 avocado trees from the stones of an occasional avocado, one has bought in an opulent mood. These trees are now about 15-20 years old and have not yielded a single fruit so far.All the dreams of my wife of fashioning exotic avocado recipes have not been fulfilled. Besides, these trees block the sun. My son occupies the ground floor bed room which faces the South East. It gets mighty cold especially when winter temperatures are below 10 deg C.Daughter in law who cannot stand cold , has so many times requested me to cut down these trees . Our daughter has also asked me to bring down these trees calling them ugly and disfiguring my garden etc. Not that she hates avocadoes.

Apartment Block
in the rear

 I have all along resisted these requests on the grounds of shielding the view of the ugly multi storied block of apartments which has been built across the canal at the back of my house. I  have also been nursing a dream of reaping a large harvest of avocados once in a while.
And this morning my son who I must say is a hawk eye, sitting in the drawing room, suddenly cried
"Hey ! What am I seeing? Look at that, is it a fruit?"
Both of us went into the garden and lo and behold we saw our FIRST AVOCADO on one of the trees

. You can see how big the fruit is. And now that the tree has shown signs that it is not fertile I am sure my wife will have enough opportunities to cook exotic avocado dishes for her parties in future .We will have enough of them to give away to my daughter and friends.
                                                        Who knows? May be for sale in the malls !!



No comments:

Post a Comment