Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reflections and Transparency


Tranquility

 
. Normally many enthusiast photographers take pictures with a theme in mind such as 'sunset at ....' or 'from the top of ....' !
Some time ago at Ganpatipule beach I saw an enthusiastic honeymooner asking his beloved to hold her hands in a cup shape and wait to click the camera as soon as the setting  globe of the sun just rested on her hands !!
In my album I found these pictures which happen to be 'reflections', though these were not deliberately taken at that time as a theme.

 
Reflection in Pure Glass
  



Tranquility
 
Periscopic Reflection

Reflection
 

Transparency and Reflection

While looking at these pictures I was wondering how these differing media - water and glass- share some interestingly common properties such as reflectivity and transparency. I thought I could find an answer to this in a Physics lesson on the net.
During my search, I was amazed to find that a blogger was trying to seek the answer to the same question in 2006 !. At a most interesting URL http://blog.plover.com/physics  , titled 'The Universe of Discourse' amongst a whole lot of  curiosities in Physics, the author discusses this topic under the title "The Nature of Transparency"
Interesting how the same thought could originate in two different minds not only geographically distant but also in different time frame.

Of course I still haven't found an answer to my query !!

 
 





 









No comments:

Post a Comment